It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:26 am

Post subject: Prolite possibly discontinued?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:24 am 

There's a post up today which was suggesting that the Prolite series will be discontinued along with the arrival of SQ1.

I initially thought, nah no way! Sonor carries a lot of its clout in that series and they are famed, however in thinking more into it- could it happen?

After all, the SQ1 will come with lower price birch shells, matt solid colours. This doesn't fill the hole of the Prolite however. The SQ2 will be able to cater for the Vintage Maple for sure however this route will be much more expensive than a Prolite.

BUT, there is also SQ2 pre config'd kits, and they are all Vintage maple shells. So, maybe they are seeing no need for the Prolite Series? It has been wilted down to very few finish options as of late.

What are your thoughts?

Jack

Vintage Series 20,12,14 - Vintage Pearl
Force 22,12,13,16,14
Gavin Harrison Protean 12x5 Premium
Benny Greb Signature Snare 13x5.75

Post subject: Re: Prolite possibly discontinued?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:47 pm 

jackplaysdrums wrote:

BUT, there is also SQ2 pre config'd kits, and they are all Vintage maple shells. So, maybe they are seeing no need for the Prolite Series? It has been wilted down to very few finish options as of late.

What are your thoughts?

Jack

Bingo. Covering all bases, I think. :|

SQ1 = Birch
Vintage = Beech
SQ2 Pre Config = Maple
SQ2 = All of the above

I still think its a little strange that the SQ1 specs are so different to what Sonor Germany have been doing for 40yrs, as far as shell ply lay up goes.
Any thoughts on the reasoning?

DrumPower
Melbourne, Australia

I have issues, my daughter's name is Makassar Ebony.
Luckily for my son, my wife would NOT agree to the name 'Mahogany Veneer Phonic Plus'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:51 pm 

Square Badge Delite, Round Badge Delite, Prolite, and now... SQ2 Pre-config? :roll: Maybe.

So far it's really only badge, finish, and name changes. With the Beech Infinites, Newports, Sunset Bop, all gone we have the Vintage Series with a new wrap color OMG!! The S Classix and Birch Infinites are now gone to make way for the SQ1 (Sonor Quality Sq-oned) :?

All of this seems like feigned innovation to have something new to present at each and every trade show... it shows no commitment on behalf of Sonor to their design.

They've covered all of the bases before. It's really kinda frustrating, but there are plenty of idiots in line each and every time for the "newest" iPhones, too...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:32 pm 

higgins wrote:

All of this seems like feigned innovation to have something new to present at each and every trade show... it shows no commitment on behalf of Sonor to their design.

EXACTLY !!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:48 pm 

Quite obviously its just me out on my own here, but, I think the SQ1 is a BRILLIANT idea.
I just don't understand the ply lay up.

Of course its gonna be a so called 'downgrade' from SQ2 if its gonna be half the price. I don't understand how peeps don't get that.
What, it should be a step up, and half price. Pffft. :roll:

DrumPower
Melbourne, Australia

Luckily for my son, my wife would NOT agree to the name 'Mahogany Veneer Phonic Plus'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:11 pm 

higgins wrote:
The S Classix and Birch Infinites are now gone to make way for the SQ1 (Sonor Quality Sq-oned) :?

Well the Birch Inifinites were a limited edition run, of 3 colours. There weren't many made. The initial was 25 of each colour, however this was slightly extended. I think the SQ1 is a replacement of S Class or S Classix.

stitchyHLD580ebony wrote:
Quite obviously its just me out on my own here, but, I think the SQ1 is a BRILLIANT idea.
I just don't understand the ply lay up.

Of course its gonna be a so called 'downgrade' from SQ2 if its gonna be half the price. I don't understand how peeps don't get that.
What, it should be a step up, and half price. Pffft. :roll:

I like the idea because i can get something of Sonor German quality to gig and not be hauling around a small fortune! I'm not scared to take an SQ2 out, i do regularly, but some of those gigs which we've all been to where some guys up leaning on your floor tom, and decides that a 10x8 makes a good beer mat, my heart wouldn't be in my mouth as much! Also, to put up and leave in a theatre for 3 weeks!

The actual shells, aren't going to be a downgrade because Sonor German will be the same shell construction, but trading off finishes and features of hardware etc. I guess it sits perfectly where an S Class would have sat for example, but they are trying some new stuff here with shell layup and thickness.

It also would provide a way for many more people to play a German Sonor much more easily financially, because lets be honest SQ2 is big ££££.

I can see many reasons for their thinking.

Jack

Vintage Series 20,12,14 - Vintage Pearl
Force 22,12,13,16,14
Gavin Harrison Protean 12x5 Premium
Benny Greb Signature Snare 13x5.75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:27 pm 

jackplaysdrums wrote:

I like the idea because i can get something of Sonor German quality to gig and not be hauling around a small fortune! I'm not scared to take an SQ2 out, i do regularly, but some of those gigs which we've all been to where some guys up leaning on your floor tom, and decides that a 10x8 makes a good beer mat, my heart wouldn't be in my mouth as much! Also, to put up and leave in a theatre for 3 weeks!

The actual shells, aren't going to be a downgrade because Sonor German will be the same shell construction, but trading off finishes and features of hardware etc. I guess it sits perfectly where an S Class would have sat for example, but they are trying some new stuff here with shell layup and thickness.

It also would provide a way for many more people to play a German Sonor much more easily financially, because lets be honest SQ2 is big ££££.

I can see many reasons for their thinking.

Jack

We're on the same wavelength, Jack.
I suppose my comment was based on all the FB comments aswell as the ones on this thread.
When I say 'downgrade', I'm not saying they are cheapies. I'm trying to say that they have been specifically built to a price point (which I believe is fantastic, for many reasons, some of which you mentioned), making them more accessible. Which is what we ALL want, but we'll find a way to bag the *** out of it, and fuckin whinge about it anyway.

Why peeps go on and on about SQ1 being Sonor Quality to the blah blah is completely irrelevant. Its just a name for a series.
SQ1 has been made to sit in a more accessible price point, intentionally
Logically, some corners may need to be cut, or options need to be trimmed when compared to more expensive series (being every other series from Germany) for it to be justifiable at this price point.
Its not rocket science. :roll:

DrumPower
Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:21 am 

So will my Prolite kit go up in value because it's no longer available? Maybe I can use "rare" in the ad to sell...

Whaddaugunnado? Go ahead, discontinue. I got my kit and love it. Had my Champion kit for 40 years, the Prolite only a few years in, but it ain't going anywhere.

Phonic/Performer mongrel
Yamaha Club Custom (Kapur wood) bop kit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:12 pm 

drum-al wrote:
So will my Prolite kit go up in value because it's no longer available? Maybe I can use "rare" in the ad to sell...

:?

DrumPower
Melbourne, Australia