It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 am

Post subject: Jojo Mayer Perfect Balance...opinions???
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 pm 

Now that this pedal has been on the market several years, I am interested in honest opinions. I am really digging in to my bass drum technique and considering trying something new.

Reviews online are from one end of the spectrum to the other, ranging from parts falling off, to breakage to just not liking the feel in addition to those of people that love the pedal.

I have been a heavy footed player for a long time, but want to cut back on volume and work in some better patterns as well.

Also, have there been any production changes/improvements since the earlier pedals?

Thoughts?

Zildjian: A Series Sweet Set 15/18/20/23
Trick: Pro 1-V Bigfoot

Post subject: Re: Jojo Mayer Perfect Balance...opinions???
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:03 am 

I‘m using two different JoJo-Pedals for several years now. One of them is being used on a daily bases and never failed on me.
The very first series of the pedals had some issues with the straps and the hinges. But these problems were solved using different parts for the following series.
I‘m a light footed player and for me those pedals were a revelation from the very first minute I played them.

When other drummers play my pedals it is either love or hate. It seems you‘ll have to find out by trying one of them.

Kind regards,
Topper-Hardy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:52 am 

I want to say that there are different people involved with different technologies..... I came up with a fascination for some of the ideals of swing ( both bop and pre-bop). the ideals of bass drum playing where very different than those of metal or funk or rock players. One of the ways we enjoyed the bass drum and our desire to participate in these styles (including such things as"feathering" the bass drum) was through the Ludwig "speed master" pedal. When I encountered the JoJo pedal I felt a recognition of the speed master. I feel like the JoJo pedal is both a "step backwards AND a step forwards" this pedal asked you to take heal down playing very seriously.

Even though the speed master is a one piece footboard and the JoJo is split I feel more similarities than differences.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:49 pm 

heya,
I have what I presume is the original variant, and it has this wierd problem where the lockin mechanism somehow disengages and the pedal kind fo collapses like how you fold it up byt pressing the button.. its driving me mad as it is an absolutely lovely pedal to play, so smooth and ...well... preferctly balanced!! Does anyone have any advice for me for how to fix it? Can i get a part from sonor or something?! Cheers, Luke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:06 pm 

Play it from the moment it was released and never put on an other pedal since. I'm a kind of jazzy player, it fits and suites me perfectly.
Henk

Sonor Delite ice sparkle
Sonor Signature bub. Lite
Sonor Signature makassar
Sonor Champ stainless steel
Sonor Acrylic Bob set
Sonor HLD590- HLD593 bellbronze

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:28 pm 

lukejchristie wrote:
heya,
I have what I presume is the original variant, and it has this wierd problem where the lockin mechanism somehow disengages and the pedal kind fo collapses like how you fold it up byt pressing the button.. its driving me mad as it is an absolutely lovely pedal to play, so smooth and ...well... preferctly balanced!! Does anyone have any advice for me for how to fix it? Can i get a part from sonor or something?! Cheers, Luke

Did you buy it new?
If so, did you read the info booklet explaining in great detail how to avoid the issue you describe from happening?
I don't believe your pedal can be fixed.

DrumPower
Melbourne, Australia

I have issues, my daughter's name is Makassar Ebony.
Luckily for my son, my wife would NOT agree to the name 'Mahogany Veneer Phonic Plus'

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:50 pm 

Well lets see what Sonor have to say as they are taking it back to fix it. I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at re: the manual's 'great detail'. Not sure why you also seem certain it can't be fixed? You also seem to be implying that you are certain that the pedal was broken due to me not reading the instructions (not the case). Its not exactly rocket science in any case, unless you think describing how to open the pedal then tighten it to clamp the bass drum hoop with a drum key is especially detailed. Bottom line: I've read the instructions and set it up accordingly, as far as i'm concerned, whatever's wrong with it has to be a design flaw or broken part. Either way its for them to deal with. They agree.
I'd be interested to hear your theory about how it broke in any case

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:13 am 

Rubber pads have fallen off and I had to crawl around on the floor to find them.

The pedal collapsed many times until I found it needs to be attached loose, or just barely tight to the bass drum.

The spring has lost all its shine and is very corroded looking.

The heel of the foot plate is not always level with the floor which sometimes makes the action difficult to do fast runs. Sometimes the post wobbles a little bit if it's not perfectly flat.

I use it on two different sets every week, but one is the cheap bop set which has a thin hoop. It doesn't clamp to the hoop but it also doesn't move, so I guess it's okay.

It leaks grease at the hinge.

It also has the best feel of any modern pedal that I have found for me. I can play very smoothly with it and other than maybe a Speed Cobra, I can't find a better pedal that allows me to do the heel-toe runs that I could do with the old Phonic pedal.

The old Phonic pedal had just the right length footboard and it sat flat on the floor because it used connecting rods instead of a plate. It made clunky noises sometimes because of the rods and heel plate, and the Phonic pedal hinge broke so many times I made my own heel plate hinge rods, but the Phonic was still the best for me until I found the jojo.

I put a Canopus bearing on the jojo to see if it made it even better, but it wasn't worth the money or bother.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:33 pm 

I love it. I'm a heal up guy and after using it now for 4 years pretty much every day, without a single fault i may add, it fits me like a glove. What my head wants to do is transferred straight to my foot, onto my pedal and then to the bass drum. Perfect!

Vintage Series 20,12,14 - Vintage Pearl
Force 22,12,13,16,14
Gavin Harrison Protean 12x5 Premium
Benny Greb Signature Snare 13x5.75

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:09 am 

I like it - got it when it first came out and no real issues. Use it mostly for jazz gigs (I've also got a Giant Step that I use for the rock/r&B gigs). Swapped the original strap with the new one they sent way back when. I do need to make sure it's tight on the hoop though, otherwise a little wobble

Phonic/Performer mongrel
Yamaha Club Custom (Kapur wood) bop kit