Question about an old sonor delite kit

Discuss Vintage and Out Of Production Sonor
Brandon21

Question about an old sonor delite kit

Post by Brandon21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:20 am

Not sure if this was the best place to post this but need some opinions. So I’m getting an old delite kit and for some reason the previous owner took it upon himself to drill his own hole in the bass drum and add a ton mount. It was originally a virgin bass drum. Which is what I wanted in the first place. Has anyone ever taken the mount off before and had luck covering up the hole? I want something that won’t be super noticeable like a big chrome plate or something. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Dick Bartling

Re: Question about an old sonor delite kit

Post by Dick Bartling » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:46 pm

My 2 cents worth: Leaving that bracket on the BD, even though you're not going to use it for the mount, will be much less noticeable than trying to cover the holes.
African Marble Beech SQ2 22, 8, 10, 12, 14ft, 16ft
S.B. Lite 22, 20, 8, 10, 12, 14ft, 16ft
Rosewood Lite 22, 8, 10, 12, 14ft, 15ft, 16ft
Delite 22 & Designer 8, 10, 12, 14ft, 16ft custom wrap
LD 547x, D516, SY1406, 8x14 Rosewood FrankenLite

Timeagain

Post by Timeagain » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:44 pm

Hey Brandon21, good question. I'm not a fan of the Delite style bass drum mounts either, but I'm with Dick here, a Delite kit will be killer and if its the right kit then maybe the mount shouldn't be a deal breaker as when its set up you don't see the mount too much any way with drums and stands etc in the way.

I did see an image on this site some years ago of a flat s/steel plate in the shape of the bass drum mount that someone had custom made. It looked pretty good if I remember correctly as the person used the black spacer (for want of the correct word, not enough caffeine this morning) from the mount so the plate sat inside it and the shape of the plate was mallet-ish and kept the Sonor kind of look if you know what I mean. I don't recall it looking too much like a back yard job "hey, I know lets put a Pearl mount here" if you get my meaning.

I know this is not what you necessarily wanted but maybe a flat-ish plate, slightly rounded to fit the shell and powder coated to be a little more discreet, might be an option?

Does anyone else here remember seeing that custom s/steel bass drum cover plate?

What's the finish of the kit?

Cheers

Brandon21

Post by Brandon21 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:22 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I hope someone remembers something about what you’re talking about I wouldn’t mind having something custom made like that..the finish is the brilliant champagne. Yeah, there’s just something about having the mount on the bass drum that I just really don’t like. I’ve been trying to look around to see if anyone makes customs plates kind of like what you are saying but I haven’t had any luck yet.

spelman

Post by spelman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:35 am

There are some nice examples of what can be done here:

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/show ... ight=plate

stitchyHLD580ebony

Post by stitchyHLD580ebony » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:55 am

Maybe some silver sparkle drum wrap off-cut fitted thru the existing mount screw holes.
We have an Asian made kit at work with a similar grey/silver sparkle.
Maybe do a google search, I did a quick one.

http://walopus.com/product/traditional- ... -drum-wrap

http://walopus.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 215637.jpg
Jeff

DrumPower
Melbourne, Australia

I have issues, my daughter's name is Makassar Ebony.
Luckily for my son, my wife would NOT agree to the name 'Mahogany Veneer Phonic Plus'

Brandon21

Post by Brandon21 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Dude awesome idea! That champagne finish on there looks super identical to what I need so I just ordered a sheet of it. So hopefully I can cut them to the sizes I need and it shouldn’t be noticeable at all. Thanks guys! I’ll post some pics once I receive the drum wrap and patch the holes