It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:30 am

Post subject: Recent Modern Drummer Interviews with 2 Older Sonor greats
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:42 pm 

https://www.moderndrummer.com/article/september-2017-steve-smith/

https://www.moderndrummer.com/article/october-2017-jack-dejohnette/

In case you missed it on FB or just let your subscription run out in the 80's like I did; here are two interviews with Jack DeJohnette and the other with Steve Smith.

Both of these guys are aging well like a fine wine or a single malt whiskey. Drumming should be something you can do well in to the golden years and these guys share some great tips and reflections on how to still be on top of your game at 75 and 63 respectively. I find it very interesting that both men cited the great Roy Haynes as a role model and inspiration for continuing to play at a high level later in life. Haynes endorsed Sonor in the late 50's and can be found pictured in the pages of the 57-58 catalog.

http://www.sonormuseum.com/1950s/Instruments_for_the_Percussionist_1957-58de.pdf

Excerpts from Jack:

"Everyone knows Roy is one of the masters. He’s still playing in his nineties!" - JD

"I’m playing more relaxed, and I pace myself now—I’m older. But my enthusiasm to play is just as strong as it was when I was twenty. I haven’t lost that excitement to get on the bandstand and hit." - JD

Some pearls of wisdom from Smith on getting older and playing better:

“Power is for dictators. What you want is a big sound.” - Freddie Gruber

"So I’ve learned to play quieter and get a good sound on all of the instruments, and then make the correct balance internally. Like, make the bass drum and snare drum balance to themselves, acoustically, before even thinking about what the mic is going to do. That comes from years of playing on stage in acoustic environments where I’m two feet away from a saxophone player or an acoustic bass player and five feet away from an acoustic piano player. So I really have to control my volume. In a lot of those cases, there’s either no miking on the drums or just an overhead and a bass drum mic. So I’ve trained myself. And in some ways I feel like I have a shelf life as a rock drummer. And one of the reasons I decided to play with Journey now is that I’d better do it while I’m physically able to do it. It’s hard work and I have to do a lot of pre-show warm-up and after-show yoga and stretching and warm down. I’m using good technique and I’m not denting heads or breaking sticks or cymbals, but it’s still hard work to play ninety minutes or even two hours sometimes. And I don’t want to go on so long that I hurt myself. I want to be viable for the rest of my career. Like Roy Haynes and some of my heroes, I want to play up until the end. There are a lot of great players still out there doing it into their sixties, seventies, and eighties." - SS